As you deck the halls this holiday season, don’t lose sight of the furry members of your family. Traditions and decorations can pose dangers to your cats and dogs.
Here are some handy tips for keeping your pets safe over the holidays, thus making the season bright for the whole family.
- Don’t leave your pet alone in a room with lit candles or potpourris
- Can start accidental fires
- Liquid potpourris contain essential oils and cationic detergents
- Solid potpourris can cause blockages
- Keep holiday plants out of the reach of pets
- Avoid tinsel on your tree
- Especially if you have cats
- Secure your Christmas tree to avoid being knocked over (dog bumps it, or cat climbs it)
- Provide a safe place for your pet to go if you are entertaining guests (kennel, room they are comfortable in, etc.)
- Do not add additives to your Christmas tree water
- Always unplug decorations when you leave
- Pets may be tempted to chew on cords
If you follow these guidelines, your pets will be in tip-top shape, and you’ll be able to enjoy the holidays even more with your furry friends.